Join the Discussion:

Layers functions

Some more layer functions would be nice, like the ability to name layers [which shape am I looking for again?] and the ability to drag and drop them into the arrangement order you want [instead of just "send to front" and "send to back"].

385 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Erika shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

41 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dragging, yes in favor too (across header, content, and footer sections aswell) but also ability to rename layers and sort layers by name within each section... it's an organizational thing and very important in my book. Appreciate you implementing this ASAP

Hi, it's been a long time since this feature was listed as planned. What is the status? I agree that more functionality to layers is a must. The ability to name the layers as well as the ability to slide them up and down or delete them from the layers window are some features I would like to see.

Whats the status on this? This would be one of the most useful features that you can have to keep track items of what has been added to the site

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This drives me nuts. Should be very obvious that you should be able to re-order layers.

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dragging, yes in favor too (across header, content, and footer sections aswell) but also ability to rename layers and sort layers by name within each section... it's an organizational thing and very important in my book. Appreciate you implementing this ASAP

• alana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Michael,

Thank You for your comment.

We are developing according to users votes.

Please be sure to vote for the features that are most important to you. We're always looking for new ways to improve.

Alana,
    The Webydo Team

• Michael Maersch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WOW! I am AMAZED!!! This conversation was started when, October of 2013? And here it is mid-February 2015(!) and this simple/REASONABLE request STILL HAS NOT been addressed.

If you guys at Webydo read the comments you can see how IMPORTANT this is, especially when a page has multiple text and image layers that are a part of the whole...
    * It's an ORGANIZATIONAL thing!
    * It's also about SAVING TIME! (You know, p r o d u c t i v i t y !) Right now, *2 1/2 years after the suggestion was made* and it was tagged as "planned", I have to kill time creating a "cheat sheet" in order for me to "quickly" and "efficiently" target elements in my page design to edit or tweak.

"Responsive" is not ONLY ABOUT cross-device adaptability guys. C'mon. (Or really, why should you guys be requesting "the community" to participate at all?! Just askin'.)

• alana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are developing many exciting improvements for the layers feature that will be coming out in the next few months.

Hang in there and keep the great ideas coming!

Alana,
    The Webydo Team

• Alan Matthews commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm no HTML expert, but shouldn't one be able to rearrange layers in the Layers window? Someone else spotted this problem back in June and now it's Feb. Got any idea when this may become available? Thanks!

• Liam Dargan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to be able to drag the layers in the 'layers' window similar to the function on Adobe Photoshop - It can be annoying when the layer you want to edit is behind a larger object that hides it.

• Hian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the Layers Window: it would be helpful to have the same functionality as in Photoshop layers. As others already mentioned:
    - renaming layers
    - moving 1 layer
    - moving a cluster of layers with and without needing to group
    - e.g. moving layer A below layer B would mean that on the canvas layer B comes above layer A

• Anna - Webydo Support Manager commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi guys!
    We are planning on making the layers more flexible- for now here are a few tips to make working with it easier:

The header has lowest Z index, content in the middle and footer has highest Z index.
    When an element touches two areas- it automatically belongs to the higher Z index option. For example: if an element is sitting between header and content area- it will belong to the content area.

If one element is repeated on all pages and the other is regular- the repeated element will always be on top.

Pinned elements will always be on top of everything.

Thanks
    Anna

• adam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

arranging layers, for me, is crucial - especially with parallax functionality coming on stream in beta. I've wasted hours trying to get an object to move below another one. Hours. Grr.

• Roderick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Meaning- once you implement "named layer orders" one should be able to click on one (or several) in the layer window and reorder them... very much needed!!!!

• Roderick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is desperately needed. By definition, in any graphics program layers are rearrangeable! Not only is this functional in practice but also in UI as it gives you a visual representation of what the layer order is without clicking on buttons... Thanks so much for planning on this!!

To be able to move and rename layers. Sometimes the 'Move to front' and/or 'Move to back' feature does not solve the layer order problems. I had to get creative with cutting & pasting elements and also realized that if an shape background is set to 100% it is locked and if you unclick the 100% feature your layer order goes awry ... very frustrating at times.

Feedback and Knowledge Base