Join the Discussion:

Hiding the .html ending in links (on the website)

It would look cleaner and better if we could simply hide the .html ending.

130 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Misse I. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Say you're running a Super Duper Special and you want your customers to go to yourdomain.com/superduper.html BUT your customers aren't fastidious and drop the .html from their page request, which leads to an error, which leads to lost time or lost business or both.

This is different than hiding .html because it's an eyesore, which is it's own feature request. This is about about attracting and retaining customers' attention and the fault tolerance of Webydo as a customer engagement platform.

How big is this problem? Only you guys can know: How many 404 pages do Webydo servers return? And how many of these 404 errror would have resovled if the user had typed in .html?

• AdminMichael (Head of Support, Webydo) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi everyone.
    It seems that the development of HTML removal will be delayed, as other features with higher votes are being developed first.

Keep voting for this idea in order to ensure it will be added to the development plans as soon as possible.

• Natasha Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's unfortunate that .html has to appear at the end of subpages. I would like to be able to direct people to a direct page, versus a .html.

• Mark Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For any page on our website other than the home page, if one types out the direct link or clicks on a link, it has to have .html on the end of it. For example, for our church's student ministry, we have student pages on the website. If I'm promoting an event that people can register on our student page, I would say, register at www.fbcBranson.com/students. But unfortunately I have to add .html for that link to work. Otherwise they will get a page that says, "oh snap, that page couldn't be found." This is unprofessional. There are surely people that are confused when they try to find a page by typing it in directly. If someone were to go to www.espn.com/nfl they wouldn't expect to have to type .html to get to that page directly. I can't think of anyone else's site that requires them to do that. The company we used to use for our website that used templates didn't require .html on the end of it, or anything like that. Please work on this issue with your service. We're paying customers and would like for this to be resolved. THANK YOU for your consideration!

• Nike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any progress on this? My client is justified in complaining.

• Kane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would really like to see this happen, the .html looks ugly!

• Kane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would really like to see this happen, the .html looks ugly!

• alana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Peter,

I don't have an update for you yet. As soon as we do we will let you know.

Keep checking back and voting for the ideas most important to you.

Alana,
    The Webydo Team

• alana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Robert,

We still do not have an update regarding this idea.
    A change like this will require a complete system update and cross-platform change.
    We will keep everybody posted as soon as this ability is developed.

Thank you for your patience

Alana,
    The Webydo Team

• Robert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It was a long time ago since the last update on removing .html from URLs. Any news?

• Anna - Webydo Support Manager commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Matt.
    A change like this will require a cross- platform change.
    We will keep everybody posted as soon as this ability is developed.

Thank you for your patience
    Anna

Feedback and Knowledge Base